How will my child learn?
The Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum is based around three characteristics of learning. Each characteristic supports children by focusing on how they learn not what they learn. A child’s individual learning characteristic will determine the way they respond to both the teaching and learning taking place in the environment. Three characteristics of effective teaching and learning identified by the EYFS are:
- playing and exploring - children investigate and experience things, and ‘have a go’;
- active learning - children concentrate and keep on trying if they encounter difficulties, and enjoy achievements; and
- creating and thinking critically - children have and develop their own ideas, make links between ideas, and develop strategies for doing things.
What will my child learn?
The Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum (EYFS) is made up of 7 areas of learning.
- Communication and language: We encourage children to work together and use their words to explain what they are learning. This development supports children’s writing and understanding of language.
- Physical development: It is important that children develop their gross and fine motor skills. It is also important to teach health and self-care.
- Personal, social, and emotional: It is very important that children develop their social skills through sharing and playing collaboratively with others. It is also essential that they are able to express their emotions and explore their feelings.
- Literacy: We encourage children to look at letters and say their sounds. Children are encouraged to mark make and write as much as possible. We encourage children to re-tell stories and talk about books. We teach children phonics starting from Phase 1 in nursery.
- Mathematics: Within mathematics, we explore numbers, shapes, and measure with the children. We start with counting on and back and then moving onto calculation.
- Understanding the world: This area of learning enables children to explore the world around them. We encourage children to explore nature and living things. We inspire children to explore technology and we introduce children to different cultures and religions.
- Expressive arts and design: This area of learning enables children to investigate materials and how they can be used to create an effect, and use their imagination to create stories
The whole curriculum is taught throughout the week. We provide opportunities for children to learn through play and choose the area they wish to access. We assess and plan your child’s next steps ensuring progress is being made in all areas.