Our school aims to meet its obligations under the public sector equality duty by having due regard to the need to:
- Eliminate discrimination and other conduct that is prohibited by the Equality Act 2010
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
- Foster good relations across all characteristics – between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
Having due regard for advancing equality involves:
- Removing or minimising disadvantages suffered by people due to their protected characteristics.
- Taking steps to meet the needs of people from protected groups where these are different from the needs of other people.
- Encouraging people from protected groups to participate in public life or in other activities where their participation is disproportionately low.
Our four objectives for Equality that we will be working on for the next three years are:
- Improve pupils’ personal development further by enabling pupils to develop a deeper understanding of different religions and cultures. (Ofsted Link).
- Evaluate, review, and enhance our curriculum ensuring it is fully inclusive and reflects the diversity of the world we live in.
- Audit current resources, materials and the learning environment in school to represent a range of religions, cultures, disabilities, ages, genders, marriages and civil partnerships and sexual orientations.
- Gain the Lancashire Equality Mark, over a three-year period, working on achieving the following equality strands.
- Religion and belief, and Disability – 2022-2023
- Socioeconomic and Gender and trans -2023-2024
- Sexual orientation and Race -2024-2025
Equality Parental Questionnaire
Parents of Burscough Village Primary School have been asked a range of questions linked to equality and diversity. Please find the results from the questionnaire below.
At Burscough Village Primary School, we have appointed 10 Equality Ambassadors (Y2-Y6). These pupils meet every half-term to discuss and promote different aspects of equality in our school. Please meet the team below and read about our meetings.